Friday, March 22, 2013

Bisous

Bisous! Bisous! Bisous Tata! Phoebe now shouts as part of her getting ready for naptime routine.

Going to everyone in the house to give bisous (bee-zoo), or kisses, is part of the ritual. So far, it's my most favorite word she has learned yet. A close second is massa, meaning sorry in Wolof. I think she was originally trying to say monster, but our housekeeper was certain it was something she picked up locally, and now she encourages it whenever she sees Phoebe sad or hurt.

Other things we said this past week while settling in:

Eric! I'm so glad the toilets fill and flush! I was sure they wouldn't when you said there was not much water coming into the house. (Said by me before the glorious appearance of our reservoirs and pumps.)

Thank you for friends who live close to our house who we can play with today. (Said by Hannah today as she was praying. Brazilian/Peruvian MKs coming over to play with legos this afternoon.)

Did I agree to do too much too soon? (Eric, as he contemplated all the studying and translating ahead of him in the next week or so.)

Can I ride my scooter on the roof? (Said by Malachi EVERY night when things cool down.)

Hm. There's a gecko in my cupboard. Guess I'll finish putting away spices later. (Said by me- imagine me saying it in a bored, matter-of-fact sort-of way.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wish i could give phoebe some "bisous" right about now. Watching Libby today and she keeps calling Isabel Phoebe which starts Isa calling for Phoebe and leaves Libby confused! Love you guys and glad to hear good and fun things that are happening ( minus the gecko thing!)

The Bells said...

I love you guys!!! Miss you. If I were only a gecko in your spice cabinet. :( M