Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Preconversations

Do you ever walk through conversations in your head? You know, conversations you’re anticipating (or would like to have, but aren’t guaranteed). I find myself doing that a lot, especially in reference to doing them in another language.

Okay, so I’m going to the dentist today. How do you say crown/cavity/numb my mouth in French? How do I explain that my top right molar is hurting?

Or, sadly, I have preconversation-confrontation-conversations in my head. Like recently, with our new landlord (who I feel wasn’t fair or honest with us in several ways).

You didn’t tell us that we share a wall with a daara (which is short enough for the boys to peek over or jump)! You were so pushy and forceful. You can’t treat us that way. We’ll take our money and leave if this is the way you treat us. You should be thankful to have us as renters because we’ll take care of your house! And you treat us this way?!

Or, the man who helped us find our house (and charged a crazy fee to do so).

Shame on you for telling us we could get an electric meter in 48 hours. You knew it wasn’t that easy and you only wanted our money. I’ll never suggest your services to any of my friends!

Oh, my. Jesus brought some sense to my head from the Sermon on the Mount yesterday. (That passage, by the way, has lately been one slap on the hand after another)

You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,  that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.  If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?  Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
These words echo in my head now when I start that preconversation-confrontation-conversation with my landlord (or, sometimes his wife who asks for taxi money anytime she comes to get money from us!).


The words I say to my kids echo in my head.


Trust me. I’m not trying to take away your fun. I’m not trying to ruin your life. I know what I’m doing and it’s best to do things God’s way, even if you've been wronged. Even if it's difficult.

Even if it’s difficult.

No comments: