Thursday, March 7, 2013

Reading Tea Leaves

We were really pleased when it became apparent that we’d be returning to Senegal fully supported. Our excitement came less from a financial standpoint and more from a ‘wow-God’s-really-confirming-our-calling’ sort of standpoint. It seemed, to us, apparent that He had big plans for our return. Deepened relationships, more developed ministry (read: we will be busier), language skill, and so on.

It has been almost 2 weeks and we still don’t have an electric meter for our house. We’re still stuck in limbo, in our temporary house on the other side of town. Away from our church. Away from our friends. Away from anything we imagined for ministry. We don’t really know how to move forward and there’s no guarantee in sight of receiving that meter any time soon.

But, Lord, I thought You were saying you’d smooth the road before us. I thought You were showing us that there would be work for us to do.


Reading tea leaves is an ancient practice of divining the future from the dregs at the bottom of a tea cup. Sometimes, I do my own Christian version of reading tea leaves. Like, assuming answering our prayer for support was confirmation of ministry for us in Senegal. Read: right-away-when-I-think-it-should-be type ministry. It very well may be that confirmation that we thought. But it may include other aspects, too.

Apparently, if I may reinterpret the situation, I need a little more personal refinement. Like patience, or faith, or a whole host of other fruits that need watering on the tree of my life.

I don’t know why things are as they are. We may receive that meter tomorrow and be able to go forward with (our) plans to use our home for ministry. It may be 4 months- like friends of ours experienced.


Either way, I cannot read the mind of the Lord. But, I do know that He has brought me here and His grace will keep me.

No comments: